From comments to Steve Sailer’s blog:
* American females (probably all females) suffer from a strange schizophrenia.
At times they wish to be viewed as strong, powerful and empowered to make their own decisions and run their own lives. Hence, co-ed dorms, co-ed bathrooms and coed floors are seen as respectful of their strong, sexualized, self-actualizing, responsible, riot-gurrl, equal-to-any-man persona.
At other times they wish to adopt a persona of someone who is oppressed, victimized, weak, and easily swayed by forceful males. Hence, campus rape laws and the various fiascos recounted by Mrs. Yoffe in her article.
Women are permitted to change their minds at a moment’s notice. In fact, they are permitted–indeed encouraged–to change their minds the next day, week, month or even the next year.
As Mrs. Yoffe explains in her article with many illustrative examples, a girl can be StrongWomon and stalk a man for sex, then turn WeakWomon the next morning and convince herself that she was raped.
Mrs. Yoffe, as a female and a devout feminist, pulls back from the brink, however. Instead of saying that girls who make lying accusations should be expelled, we should change the campus rape rules a bit and not convict quite-so-many males.
Mrs. Yoffe cannot and will not apply the same standards to females that she does to males. Nor should she. Women are inherently ambivalent, weak-willed, and prone to excessive empathy. They are born girl-crowd-followers. It is their nature. NAWALT, of course.
* In Korea, Japan, Singapore and Hong Kong, it’s a common sight for women to get fall down drunk and stumble home alone through the streets of major cities. Rape, at colleges or otherwise, is a much less a serious problem there then in the US. The difference is that in those countries the police are highly effective at their jobs, investigations aren’t politicized, and perpetrators found guilty are effectively given life sentences. If you want to reduce rape, the simple answer is to get tough on crime. Everything else is just window dressing.
* The most astounding thing about the revelations of falsehood is how much blame has been defected from Rolling Stone reporter Sabrina Erderly to Jackie. Rolling Stone had the gall to even forego going through the motions of a nominal apology. It all Jackie’s fault of course. What’s more likely: an 18 year old girl totally bamboozles a veteran national reporter with a story that could have been easily falsified with first year journalism school fact-checking? Or an ambitious, ethically-challenged reporter, with a history of prior similar falsified stories goes on a fishing expedition and exploits and manipulates a naive young woman with obvious mental health issues?
It only takes an ounce of common sense to figure out who the mastermind was here. It’s even come out that Jackie tried to retract her statements, but the reporter intimidated her into going forward. Jackie’s certainly unstable, and may have even been raped under different circumstances. But regardless Rolling Stone didn’t care about the truth, it only cared about getting the story it wanted. While Jackie’s behavior was certainly far from admirable, her reputation is now ruined in national media forever (it’s only a matter of time until her true identity is leaked). And if she was indeed raped, the grand stories that Rolling Stone published destroys any credibility she’ll need in seeking justice.
Erdely by contrast, who I’m convinced bears far more responsibility, will escape from the scandal unscathed. It’s all Jackie’s fault, don’t you know veteran reporters get tricked by wild-eyed delusional teenagers all the time?! And not only are Erdely’s left-wing allies making excuses for her, they’re going so far as to still credit her. Even if she got the details wrong, she deserves accolades for bringing to light a very important issue. Sabrina still deserves a Pulitzer for her brave writing. All the while Rolling Stone will keep throwing Jackie under the bus however many times is necessary totally wash its hands clean.
* Idiot leftists tossed out millennia of sexual mores and behavioral rules on the grounds that it was created by The Patriarchy to hurt and control women and wound up creating a mess because they couldn’t comprehend the purpose of the rules.
As Camille Paglia has said in her book Sexual Personae, leftists, convinced of the natural goodness in everyone’s heart and that utopia is the natural state of things, believe that bad patriarchal culture turns men into rapists when, in fact, it’s culture that prevents more men from being rapists. Feminism could never happen under the sort of patriarchy that feminists imagine.
Or, put more simply, only an idiot leftist could think that throwing a bunch of mixed sex hormone-addled adolescents, alcohol, beds, and opportunities for privacy together with minimal adult supervision and not expect the results to be a mess.
* Steve Sailer: Ladies who are pretty good at writing advice columns tend not to think in abstract Who? Whom? categories about who are the good guys and who are the bad guys. I mentioned this in writing about microagressions: we’re seeing the worst of men and of women: women love to get into snits over the tone somebody used when complimenting her hair not quite effusively enough or whatever. But women tend to direct their anger at other individuals. Men are the great team players and abstract thinkers.